Re: Is the Air Pump Really Necessary

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is the Air Pump Really Necessary
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:11:56 -0500
I live in ohio so I can speak to this. (Actually, I live in cincinnati, one
of the worst summertime offenders for air quality in ohio. Oddly enough,
it's not because we have too much emissions, but rather that the common
weather patterns and the fact that the city sits in a bowl ringed by hills
causes air masses to park over the city and not disspiate. During
seriously hot summer days, the air quality really suffers)

What you speak of is E-Check. A flawed emissions checking system that's the
subject of numerous lawsuits. It actually got shut down for a year two years
ago because of flaws in procedure. My "New" cars get checked every other
year. (Cars of odd numbered years get checked in odd numbered years and vice
versa).

But there's a grandfather clause. When I checked for my 73 last October you
didnt have to get an E-Check for any car pre 1975. I'm not sure if that's a
25 year rule, or if it's a hard line in the sand based on how Ohio emissions
laws changed in 75. I believe it's a 25 year rule, so pre 1976 cars are
exempt this year.

To put a fine point on it, I believe that ALL cars are required to maintain
all emissions equipment they were shipped with, by law. But Ohio has no
mechanism to check that if they dont make you e-check. You'd technically be
breaking the law, but I cant imagine how that would ever come to a ticket.

-C