Engine mounts sorted at last

To: "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine mounts sorted at last
From: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:16:05 -0000
After struggling all day on friday I managed to fit new brackets to both
sides. What a game! I didn't renew the rubber mounts as not enough time and
the studs were too rusted to turn them, but don't worry I plan to pull the
engine for a rebuild in the summer so will do them then. I did have to undo
the other bracket (which was also broken) and then managed to jack the
engine up by ~3" which was enough to get to the into-block bolts. Did these
and did up the brakcet-to-timing-plate bolts and then lowered the engine
down and attempted to locate the 4 bracket-to-mount bolts. The shims were
causing a major headache so I binned 'em. Hope they were not there for a
reason! I managed to locate both drivers side bolts and one passenger bolt,
but the 4th bolt was way out due to permanent deformation of the old rubber.
I ended up using a longer bolt which went through the holes ok and pulled
the bracket and mount together. In a month or so it should deform the rubber
to the new bracket and then I can simply swap the bolt for the correct
shorter one.

Engine movement is very small now. Good.

I think the head gasket is on the way out again as we get a bad misfire on
cyl3 when starting. It clears after a minute or so. I think water is getting
into the cylinder. It could be a hairline crack in the head, so I've dug out
the spare head and will get it a 20 thou skim, clean it up, and re-cut the
valves. What worries me is the previous owner said the engine had a head
change a while back, and he also gave us a spare head. Highly likely this is
the old one. Why was it changed? Is this spare one a dud? Mmmm.

Scott

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list