Sticking jet and wet carb underside

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Sticking jet and wet carb underside
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:04:19 +0100
Hi All,

I have just attempted to start my Sprite but with no success.  (I have never
had the car running.)

I have two questions:

(i) The jet lower mechanism on one of the carbs seems to be stuck - the jet
will not lower even when I try to move it by hand. Any ideas why this should be
so ?

(ii) The underside of the carbs seems to be wet - there's petrol there even
though it's three days since I last attempted to start the vehicle. I would
have expected any petrol to have evaporated by now.
Could this be leaking from the jet area on the underside ? If not then where do
these carbs normally leak from ? Is it normal to still find this after 3 days ?
I really don't fancy taking the carbs off since last time I touched one of
these, on an MGB, the stud on the cylinder head sheared so any constructive
advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Louis Mehr
Manchester
England, UK
1971 AH Sprite

PS is there anyone in the Manchester area who has a 1275 Sprite which I can
have a look at ?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list