Re: POTENTIAL HOLY WAR

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: POTENTIAL HOLY WAR
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:51:29 -0500
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
> The MG blocks are fairly thick castings, but have variable wall thickness and
> I have seen serious core shift. You could end up like one of my blocks -
> taken out to 2000, and only broke through to water when it was finish honed.
> Short of ultrasonic testing, or starting out knowing you are going to sleeve
> the block, I wouldn't advise anything over the 1950 size.

I hadnt planned on going past 1950. As I understand it, to get to 2100 you
have to stroke the crank and that seems a bit harsh.

-snip lotus piston comments for brevity-
> These days, you can have forged pistons made up for less than $100 each that
> will last forever, have the right deck height, and won't have the
> inappropriate valve cut-outs for the Lotus that will tip the engine shop off
> as to what a cheap bugger you really are!

I'd heard offhand comments that Lotus pistons were wrong, but never comments
so precise as yours. Definitely something to think about.

Where does one get pistons made? Standard machine shop fare or someplace
more specific? My machine shop guy is on vacation this week so I cant ask
him.

What specifically do I ask for? Hand them a standard 1800 piston and say
"Make me four of these but with a bore size of X"?

Anyone know if the 1950 pistons that moss sells are simply Lotus pistons or
are they proper B series pistons?