RE: Road rallying your MG

To: "'Brinkman, Gerardo V'" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>,
Subject: RE: Road rallying your MG
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:36:41 -0800
Gerry:

        I second the "sigh".  I cut my teeth, (and a few other body parts)
pro-rallying an Austin Marina in the early 80s.  Pretty much all the events
were run at night, as there was less chance of stray tourists finding their
way onto the closed logging roads.

        There was nothing like flying between trees illuminated by a brace
of Marchal 700 series lights.

        The new SCCA vintage class is looking very intriguing.

Kelvin.

> Slight correction to the above statements :
> All ProRally and ClubRally events, run by the SCCA, are now conducted
> during daylight hours. There are no true "night" rallies run any more
> although
> some of the ProRally events are so long that they do stretch into the
> evening
> but usually end by mid-night. The last true "night" rally was
> last run 5
> years
> ago.
>
> All ProRally and ClubRally stages are run on roads which are
> closed to the
> public.
> the transits between stages are obviously just regular roads
> which are not
> closed
> off. The cars themselves have to be specially prepared with
> full roll-cages,
> 5-point belts
> and other safety related items. Gone are the days that you
> taped up your
> headlights,
> filled the gas tank and shot down that stage roads as quickly
> as you could
> <sigh!!!!>
>
> gerry

///