Re: MGs in Minn. trip

To: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: MGs in Minn. trip
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:55:06 -0500
At 07:37 AM 4/6/2001 -0500, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>.... going to Minn. for the MG convention.  We will be passing through
Chicago on Sunday July, 1 on our way to Wisconsin for the first night. ....
>    Also any advise on safe, enjoyable routes through Chicago up into Wis.
would be appreciated. ....

Unfortunately, there aren't any safe, enjoyable routes through Chicago up
into Wis.  In terms of safety, about the best you can do is take the
expressway to spend as little time onthe road as possible.  The Tri-State
Tollway does a decent job of bypassing a lot of the big city traffic
hassle.  Best bet is to flow with the traffic and try not to get run over
by the 80+mph idiots and the large trucks.  There are not so many trucks on
the weekend, but that just means the rest of the traffic is going faster.
I personally just drop my MGA into the fast lane and keep it moving along
with the average of the faster traffic, but I understand that not everyone
wants to scream along at that pace.

If you actually want to avoid the heavy traffic hassle around Chicago you
pretty much have to stay south of I-80 (even US-30 is pretty bad) and west
of the Fox River (US-47 is reasonable), and do what you can to avoid the
larger towns (like any larger than about 2000 population).  Just take a
look at an Illinois state map and avoid the yellow stuff.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///