Re: Midget windscreen replacement help

To: <JERTIGGER2@cs.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midget windscreen replacement help
From: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 08:08:29 -0400
Jerry,

I did this a few years ago. On a Midget it is not too bad. You have to
remove the four bolts at the bottom of the pillars, they are fairly easy to
get to. Then just lift up and out. There are some screws on the bottom rail,
remove those and out the whole sheebang comes. Use some soap to lube the new
rubber gasket and put it into the upper three sides of the frame. Slide the
new glass into the gasket. Then reattach the bottom rail and the rubber cowl
seal and replace into the body. Helps to have a helper steady the frame
whilst you put the four bolts back in. Make sure you can close the doors
before final tightening.

One thing I found out AFTER I did this. You may want to put something like
silicone grease into the glass channel of the rubber gasket before assembly.
Like I said I used soap. If you get water into that channel the plastic, or
whatever is in the glass sandwich, will begin to fog if water gets into the
channel. Mine is :-(

Larry

On 4/7/01 5:40 PM, "JERTIGGER2@cs.com" <JERTIGGER2@cs.com> wrote:

> I am about to embark on the journey of ordering and replacing a new wind
> screen for my 73 Midget.
>
> The haynes manual is pretty silent about the complete process.
>
> What are the pitfalls and suggestions?
> TIA
> Jerry Rein
> 73 Midget