Re: Cleaning out a fuel tank

To: Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out a fuel tank
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
Sam  wrote:
> I'm back after a long departure - job move, house
> move
> and email move.
>
> My 1960 MGA fuel tank is pretty terrible. I want to
> clean it out. What are the steps that I should do
> do this safely ? Perhaps it is more economical to
> buy
> a new one ?

What I've done with small under the seat Jeep gas
tanks is remove it, then put a small amount of water
and dish soap in and shake it up. After that I invert
the tank to have the inlet facing down and shove a
garden hose in it and run water through to flush it
out for a long time. After the water comes out clear,
drain it and add a liter of alcohol, shake it up good,
and drain it out.

After installation, it would be a good idea to add
some alcohol or "Heat" to the first fill up, to remove
any excess water.

There are commercial treatments available to prevent
rust.

jon
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///