Disappointment reigns - TR vs. MG Rallye

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Disappointment reigns - TR vs. MG Rallye
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:57:26 -0400
Well if you didn't guess, we did not retain the Lucas cup in yesterdays Tr
vs. MG rallye. In fact not a single MG even placed in the top 3. First was
won by a couple in a BMW fer chris sakes. According to the rules, they can
win but not the Lucas Cup. So it went to the second placed Tr. We were
fourth, again!!! And again we lost due to the time tie breaker. However,
this time it was the rallymaster's fault (Enquiring minds want to know why
Allen hasn't done one for the Philly MG Club yet ;-).

We (the MG's) were outnumbered yet again. 24 cars and only about 7 MG's.
Although I have to admit the weather could not have been better, as
evidenced by the sunburn on my face and arms.

We were last out of the parking lot. I followed the direction I got from
Excite's map/directions site and missed the turn. The Excite page said take
exit 3, when it should have said take Route 3. I guess that should have been
a warning. See what happens when the driver tries to navigate ;-)

Any way off we went (80 degrees, sun, cloudless sky). On the third clue it
said "Turn right at the saint" Well the sign said Saint Rafela's (or
something) So right we went. Next clue was "What can you not do any time?"
Lots of "No Parking Anytime" signs. So far so good right?? Well the next
instruction is to "Make a left at the T" Guess what, no T, only a Y and a
sign that says No Left.

Well after a while of driving in circles, and seeing quite a few of the
other rallye competitors, we finally go back to the "saint" sign to figure
where we went wrong. Make a left to go in the same direction we were on at
the "right at the saint" sign and lo and behold about a quarter mile up the
hill is a "St John's Church" sign. Make a right on that street and never hit
another problem. And got all the clues right. We finished at 2 hours but the
winners were all in the 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hour range.

So we had to turn over the lost trophy to the Durn TR group again. In fact
the guy that won it has won it before, making him the first 2 time winner.
Which I wanted to be :-(

Oh well we'll get it back in Oct!!

Larry

PS if anyone out there has a rallye route in the Philly area and would like
to trade for one of ours (with the right saint marked ;-) let me know. We
host this competition again in April.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager