Re: Trans Problem

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trans Problem
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:10:01 -0700
You describe it as "grinding". Could it be that it is difficult to engage a
gear because the clutch is not fully releasing? If so, that is not uncommon,
and is due to failure of a clutch hydraulic component; either the master
cylinder, slave cylinder, or flexible hose, or any combination of the three.
If pumping the clutch pedal (like you would a soft brake pedal) improves the
situation, that would confirm this diagnosis. If you have not had this car
very long, and cannot vouch for their recent replacement, it is extremely
probable that all three components need renewing. This would be a relatively
simple job except for the constrained access to the master cylinder, and the
tedium of bleeding the system.

If you are sure that the clutch is not the problem, you might try checking
the transmission oil level, and draining a little bit out to see if it shows
a substantial amount of metal particles.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///