Re: tachometer question, MGB.

To: BarnOwl@world.std.com
Subject: Re: tachometer question, MGB.
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:24:28 -0400
Dan,
  You need access to a StroboTach to test the accuracy of your MGB's
mechanical tach.  These are used by heating/AC people to set up airflow
distribution by adjusting speed of their fans, and in other applications
where someone needs to know the speed of a rotating object that does not
have its own tach. By means of a flashing light that stops the motion of
the rotating crankshaft pulley, the device calculates RPM of the pulley.
You can then compare to the tach in your dashboard.
  The tach in my TD started to read fast after only 45 years. By means of
a strobotach kindly loaned to me, I was able to establish its error.  A
quick trip of the tach to MoMa for cleaning and maintenance, and the
strobotach confirmed that it was, again, dead on accurate.
Bob

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:44:43 -0400 "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
writes:
> Hello all,
>  I have a couple questions,
> 1. I was wondering what the consensus is of the most accurate,
> electronic tachometer that fits in the dash tach hole of a 68 MGB,
> without hacking the hole and can be fitted so it doesn't interfere
> with other instruments. (it must be MSD compatible,
> is there one out there that folks are using and love ?).
>
> 2. Am I barking up the wrong tree 'so to speak' to be saying
> electronic tachs are more accurate?, I just keep wondering if my
> stock tach is always telling me the truth.
>
> Dan Furbish
> Marshfield, MA.
> BarnOwl@world.std.com
> 68 MGBGT !