Birthday Present

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Birthday Present
From: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 21:42:56 -0400
Well I thought about subject lines like "It's Alive" or "Got it running" But
they have been done to death ;-)

You may recall that last fall I reported that I found metal in the oil while
checking it. Well in a major panic I ran around like a chicken with it's
head cut off. I gathered all the parts and goodies and kept them warm and
dry. I continued to drive the Midget all fall and winter. Even participating
in 2 rallyes. I know I was pressing my luck. But last Saturday it all
finally came together.

I went over to my bud, Reg's house after stopping at the car wash to attempt
to wash away some of the accumulated gunk of the last 23 years. We pulled
the old engine and tranny in about 1 1/2 hours. Then pulled the bits off the
old engine to put on the new one. Things like Alternator (more later), water
pump and housing, dizzy, etc. Bolted it all on the new engine - painted it
and went to lunch. It was a bright sunny day here in Philly. Very pleasant.

BTW When we had the old engine out and on the ground (I haven't opened it up
to see where the metal came from yet) you could turn it over by hand with
the plugs in it.

After lunch we stabbed the tranny and slung the mess back into the car. A
couple hours of bolting, chatting, and tightening and we were ready to give
it a try. First we ran it with no plugs to get the oil pressure up, then
stuck the plugs in and gave it a shot. A big loud pop and nothing. Started
playing with the plug wires and finally - VROOM, and I mean VROOM. The
exhaust ended at the bottom of the header. We didn't bolt the exhaust up ;-)
I suspect the neighbors knew we had it running. <VBG>

Kept the revs up around 2000-2500 for about 5 min or so. When we shut it
down I realized the fan wasn't running (I have a Hayden electric). Bad
ground. Bolted the exhaust and other miscellaneous bits up, fiddled with the
timing and fuel mixture. Made the first drive to the local beer store to
repay Reg and Bill for their help.

On Sunday I fiddled with the timing and fuel mix again. Put new cap, rotor
and wires on. Got it running pretty sweet. It is SOOOOOOOO tempting to kick
into the throttle to see what it'll do, but I have restrained.

On Sunday PM I was toddling around and the freaking charge light comes on. I
checked with a multi-meter and it is charging in the 14 volt range. Nothing
seems ill at night with the lights on, no idea why the light is on. I am
going to stick a GM unit in there, this replacing $100 alternators is for
the birds.

Oh yea - the Birthday Present. My baby was born on the 22 of April 1978. For
it's 23rd birthday it got a new motor!!!

Details before you all start asking
Engine
    bored 0.020 over
    crank polished (0.010 under when I got it)
    Cam - TSI275-4 from Ted Schumacher
    pistons 9:1 compression
    oil galleys bored
    new 10 row oil cooler
    new tappets and push rods
    balanced crank and rods

Head
    nothing fancy, just rebuilt with new springs and a couple valves (I Know
shoulda ported and polished - outtta budget)

Still Has
    Weber DGV
    Headers into stock sized exhaust (gotta fix THAT now)
    crappy POS Lucas Alternator
    Hayden electric fan - 12"
    25D Dizzy that I have no idea if it is right or not (another gotta fix)

All said and done: about $1300 and a case of beer

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.