Re: Oil leaks and tappety tappets

To: amoyce@pol.net
Subject: Re: Oil leaks and tappety tappets
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:54:50 -0400
Andy,
  A strong hand grip on those bakelite knobs should get them tight enough
to seal the valve cover well enough.  You might check the gasket to be
sure that it is OK, not pinched, not cracked or have something wedged
underneath it.  If the oil gallery plugs are leaking, a surprising amount
of oil can get by. The plumbing to the oil pressure gauge is in that area
too, as is the oil line to the head.   I once had flex hose with a
pinhole leak that was so small it looked like a spider web, but that
moved a lot of oil onto the engine before I found the leak.
  You wondered if the fan hitting the hose clamp could have afffected the
timing gear. No, timing gear is driven off the crankshaft, so something
external like the fan collision would not affect it.   You might have a
bent fan blade or a flat spot on that pricey fan belt. The sudden stop
might have jerked the generator around and bent the bracket, thus causing
it to run slightly out of parallel with the fanbelt.  I suppose it's
possible that the water pump shaft was bent--is it leaking water from the
unseeable inside of the pulley down onto the front engine mount?
Bob

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list