Re: Very Sad-my MG crashed.

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Very Sad-my MG crashed.
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:11:31 -0700
Oops. A PU backed into my B a few years ago when my wife was driving it. Not
quite as much damage as you experienced. Since they B is a unibody design
with independent front suspension, there isn't really a frame or a front
axle to "bend" -- basically it's all of a piece, so it's that much harder to
straighten.

I couldn't find any body shops in the area even willing to give me an
estimate. All they are interested in is late model insurance work. I did get
a settlement from the other driver's insurance company, by taking the car to
their claims center along with the Moss catalog. Since it was mostly bolt-on
replacements in my case (bumper, grill, bonnet), they used the parts prices
from Moss and standard shop rates, and estimated the hours, to come to an
amount, and cut a check right there. In actual fact it probably would not
have covered having a shop completely repair and paint the front end, but
since the paint was completely shot and there was evidence of previous
poorly-repaired damage, I thought it was an adequate amount. As an aside,
there is a good reason to drive around only in perfect condition vehicles --
if the paint is faded, and you get in an accident, you wind up paying for a
paint job on the entire car, since the insurance will only pay for
repainting the damaged area, but who would do that?

Good luck.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149