Re: Shock Removal

To: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shock Removal
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:45:10 -0600
I've removed maybe ten of these and have only screwed up one. That one cost
me something like $8-10 because that is how much that bolt and nut cost to
replace the one time about ten or so years ago.

None came out easy. But what I do is loosen the nut so its just even with
the tip of the bolt - thus allowing me to beat on the end of the bolt with
a hammer without screwing up the threads. Once the bolt is moved as far as
it will go with the nut on, I remove the nut. I then work the other end of
the nut with a screwdriver and/or chisel and hammer to get it to move a
little further - until its moved enough to clamp on the head of the bolt
with the vise grips. I then use the vise grips, pulling outwards while
rotating the bolt. In between all of that, I spray PB Blaster or some other
lubricant on that center area (rubber seals) to help the bolt slide out.
Takes about fifteen minutes and one beer to complete.

David

At 04:31 PM 5/10/2001 -0400, frank krajewski wrote:
>In attempting to remove the shocks from my 1977 MGB I have ruined both
>fulcrum pins in attempting to drive them out. I even used a brass drift
>but the constant pounding, to no avail, stripped the threads on the pins
>and the nuts. Is there a secret to driving these pins out that I am
>unaware of? It's the pin that hold the shock to to the top of the
>kingpin. What was to have been an hour's job this morning has now become
>a major undertaking.
>Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski
>www.bmcne.com

///