How do I clean up all the spilled DOT4 clutch fluid ?

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: How do I clean up all the spilled DOT4 clutch fluid ?
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:23:28 +0200
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice concerning slave cylinders.

Last night I had some pressure on the pedal for the first time -amazing !

Tonight I'll check to see how much travel there is at the clutch end.

Question... what is the best way to clean up the DOT4 brake fluid that was
spilled? (It was so bad that it wept out over the front sill, emerging from the
gap between the wing and sill.)  Mop it up and just spray waxoyl on top ?

The lessons I've learned:

- remove the rubber bung on transmission tunnel and use a short tube and
container in the footwell, not under the car. There's no need jack the car up.
- a short, transparent, tight fitting tube over the bleed nipple is essential
- a small 7/16 inch open end spanner over the bleed nipple does the trick
nicely.  Two strokes of the spanner can open or close the bleed path without
disturbing the tubing.
- Use Easibleed kit with care as it is very easy to blow brake fluid all over
the paint (ouch!)
- pumping the pedal by hand and tightening the bleed nipple is a one man job
- if the car has been standing for three years with no fluid in the system then
just replace the master and slave cylinders.  When I first tried to bleed the
system, before replacing the cylinders,  a large amount of gunge  emerged in
the brake fluid.

Louis Mehr
Manchester, England
1971 AH Sprite - one Moss bag of bits away from starting.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list