MGA 1500: Carbs intermittent flooding question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA 1500: Carbs intermittent flooding question
From: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:22:15 -0400
List,

Coming home from Easton last week in Columbus, my MGA was missing on
occasion. It felt like intermittent fuel starvation. I thought it was gas
boiling in the bowls while I was in traffic, but it continued out on the
open road.

I haven't really started digging into the problem yet, but last night I
was showing my Dad what it was doing, and I discovered a strange symptom.
I started he car and it ran fine. After a while, when it warmed up, it
suddenly slowed down and started stumbling. Then after a few seconds it
would be OK, and then go through this again. Then I smelled gasoline.

I looked at the overflows, and the rear one was squirting gas...then it
wasn't...then it was, all timed to the stumbling of the engine. It would
squirt for about 3 seconds, then run OK for about 8-10 seconds, then
squirt for three over and over.

I know about float adjustment, bad float needle seat, etc., but I can't
think of anything that would cause this intermittent flooding. Oh, and
when the key is on and the engine is not running, nothing squirts, and
the pump is silent.

I'm going out now and take a look at the float, seat, etc., but if anyone
has an idea, I'm listening.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio