Re: battery boiling problem

To: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Subject: Re: battery boiling problem
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:54:11 -0500
At 10:00 PM 5/28/2001 -0700, Clayton Kirkwood wrote:
>.... With an Optima battery I was getting a boiled egg smell. When I went
to check it out, the Optima was boiling liquid out ....

>.... so I swapped the Optima out and another battery in ....
>
>Well, today .... I again .... found that the liquid was boiling out, ....
There was also a hot/burnt rubber/plastic smell. The alternator was too hot
to touch.

>My guess at this point is a bad alternator ....

The voltage reguator has gone bad, and your alternator is overcharging.
You didn't say what year and model of car.  If you car has as separate
voltage regulator you may be able to adjust the regulator for the proper
output voltage (or otherwise replace it).  If your alternator has an
integral regulator you will have to replace the alternator.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a simple old generator)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list