RE: Extra tubing

To: "'R. O. Lindsay'" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Extra tubing
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:13:25 -0700
Rick:

        You are looking at the vent tubes from the fuel pump.

        When the fuel pump diaphragm wangs back an forth it tends to suck
dust into the points area.  By venting the points area to a dust free area
(such as the trunk of the car) the points will last longer.  The other vent
line is to the coil side of the diaphragm, same idea.

        This was one of the updates to the SU fuel pump design.  The Tee
fitting is just there to keep the breather clear.

sometimes.
Okay, I noticed it twice since the car came back alive a few months
ago.<<<<<<<

        Very unlikely that the fuel smell is coming from the vent.  It is
very unusual for the diaphragm to leak.  If it did fail, you would have a
bunch of fuel coming out of the single vent line.

> Hi Gang,
>    While cleaning the crud out of the spare tire well in the
> back of my '70 B-GT, I discovered a couple of interesting
> fittings.  Both of these fittings are above the fuel pump
> location.  One is just a clear plastic 1/16" (id) pipe going
> nowhere and the other is a plastic " T " fitting -- both ends
> also going nowhere.  Are these vents?  Overflows?  Partially
> disassembled emissions junk?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list