Harkness and my constant heartbreak

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mgvic@optononline.net, mgbob@juno.com,
Subject: Harkness and my constant heartbreak
From: Tomsaudi200@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:21:42 EDT
Saw the recent posts on Who Is Coming to Harkness for CT MG Club's biggest
event of the year, and had to comment.

I was psyched. I sent in my registration form and check, relishing the moment
when I'd see my Midget lined up in a row, see old friends, and hopefully meet
new ones, some great MG's of all vintages, and of course, the beautiful
grounds the show is held on.

I was even willing to put aside my disastrous luck at last year's event, when
my clutch slave cylinder gave up after I got off I-95, and was forced to
sideline my car at the park's entrance, only to have it towed back to my
hometown.

I swore I would be ready this year. I had been driving the Midget for almost
two months, and she had been running beautifully. Two weekends ago, my wife
and I went away for the weekend to visit family out of state. As a wedding
anniversary gift, my mother in-law bought us a ton of perennial flowers.
Needing shelter, and not yet ready to plant, we put the flowers in the garage
with the MG, leaving the garage door open for ventilation.

On Monday, we wanted to take the MG out for a drive. As always, I turned the
key to on, pressed in the accelerator, let off, and turned the key another
notch to fire up the engine. It kept trying, but just would not start. No, I
wasn't getting the clicking I often hear described, the car was honestly
trying to start, it just wouldn't fire up.

I wait a few hours, tried again, and nothing. I went out again today, tried,
and again, nothing. Your initial reaction would be that I still have time to
correct the problem, but alas, I do not. Due to a family emergency, I am
leaving for Pennsylvania tomorrow morning, and I am not due to return until
Friday evening.

Obviously, when I get back, I will try to start her up again. To answer any
questions you may have at first: I had Sears top of the line battery
installed in August '99. The car received a complete tune-up in May '00.

Folks, and any fellow members of the CT MG Club who get this, I will have
access to my e-mail while I am away, and I will be checking it. I'll try any
of the more simple suggestions you may have to offer, given my limited
technical expertise and a complete lack of tools. For those who can make it
out here, there WILL be a cold 6 pack of Bass in my fridge.

That's all for now,
Tom

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list