Front Disk Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Front Disk Brakes
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:38:31 -0400
Tuesday afternoon I took my '66 B Roadster out for a spin and thought I
could hear a slight grinding noise when braking to a stop emanating from
the right front. Sure enough, when the wheel was removed the outer brake
pad was obviously worn slightly into the metal. I know, I should have
checked long before. At any rate, the hubs are being turned today,
probably for the last time because they are looking pretty thin.

My question: The outer pads on both left and right sides were worn
considerably more than the inner pads, probably by a factor of 50%. There
seems to be no way for the calipers to adjust themselves to remain
centered. Am I missing something? If there is no self-centering
mechanism, is there any way to adjust the caliper and manually center it?
Should the brake pistons or other parts be lubricated in any way while
they are loose?

Thanks for your help.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB