Re: Oil Pump Question

To: mlupynec@globalserve.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 22:26:16 -0500
At 11:11 AM 5/31/2001 -0400, Michael Lupynec wrote:
>If a techno lister (Barney?) who has direct knowledge and says its no big
deal, then leave it. To be safe, watch the oil pressure and for bits of
metal in the oil change.
driving end of the pocket in the body..."
----------------------------

I like that attitude.  When in doubt, don't panic, just keep an eye on it.
I already sent a private response to a private message, but I guess it
bears repeating here:

The outer rotor is absolutely symetrical, and it matters not which way you
install it.  I think the chamfer is there to allow you to reassemble it in
the same order after inspection, just in case it may have some significant
wear patterns on it after some use.  I believe some of the pumps have a
punch mark on one end of both rotors, with the same intention, just
assemble with both punch parks on the same end.

In reality, I seriously doubt that reversing the rotor at any point in the
units useful life would make any noticeable difference in the operating
life expectancy.  Any time I'm thinking about re-using an old oil pump I
wash it down with gasoline or mineral spirits, then get it wet, stick the
bottom end in a tub of solvent, turn the shaft by hand about two
revolutions per second, and see if it self primes.  If it does it can go
back in the engine.  If it doesn't it goes in the trash.  Either way I'm
not much concerned about which way the rotor is assembled.

If you want to be nice about all this, just make yourself a note to keep as
part of the long term records for your car, so that if you should ever
disassemble the oil pump again you might then reassemble it in the same
order, regardless of whether or not it's by the book.  Now get to it and
fire that baby up and get it back on the road.

Cheers,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a new engine with a used oil pump and 50 psi
at idle)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list