Re: 59 MGA

To: Mike Razor <mrazor@mis.net>
Subject: Re: 59 MGA
From: Martin <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 17:53:12 -0500
Have you tried running up to 50 MPH, putting it in neutral and shutting off the
motor?
Does the noise go away? Might look at the exhaust. Could it be rubbing?
Perhaps an motor mount is bad. Perhaps the engine lifts on one side
the exhaust rubs. One way to check is put a bock of wood on a floor jack.
Put it under the oil pan and lift very very gently.
These are just wild guesses.  YMMV.

Mike Razor wrote:

> Like a loud vibrating hum that begins when I let off the gas pedal and
> decreases in loudness as the speed bleeds off the car at around 40 MPH
> it goes away.  No loud noise at speeds under 40 MPH. At times after
> the car gets hot I can rev the motor up very high and get a hint of
> the noise.  Pulled the battery cover off and drove the car around with
> my son watching and listening to everything with in earshot and eye
> sight and he could not localize the point of sound except from the
> rear of the car.
> Mike

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list