Re: Archives???

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Archives???
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:41:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, DenverD wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:10:13 -0600, Bullwinkle wrote:
>
> >It still ends as of last September.
>
> why?

Apparently, because listquest is broken :)  The listquest archives are
independent of the list, and not run by the same software (or even the
same host!)

> and, why does this list use a set up where it is NOT automatic to
> reply to the entire membership?

Because it's the Right Thing To Do.  (I know this, I admin one, and
mailman is very explicit that this is the way to do things)

Accidently sending something private that you wanted public can be
fixed with little problems (just send again, making sure you got the
list).  The opposite is just about impossible.  That alone makes me
glad things work the way they do.

Also, your email client ask you what to do (Pine asks me if I want to
reply to "All Recipients", which would cc the list I said yes).

> i can't count the number of GOOD questions i've seen with NO
> response to the group..

Hmm.  I don't see that on mgs...

> so, as a new guy i get no benefit whatsoever from just seeing a
> string of questions..
> i really need to see the answers too..

Again, I don't see that happening.  I have had more questions I didn't
ask answered than ones that I _did_ ask (though at this point I don't
remember the questions).

> (okay, i know some of you cc the list, but not all--because many of
> the answers to my questions came in private email direct to me, not
> to the list..)

I often send privately when I feel that my comments don't justify the
bandwidth utilisations on the team.net servers (especailly since I
havent yet paid my fair share).

> i've sent a similar note to the list owner and had no reply..

Well, he is a busy guy.

> (i know there must be a good reason it is set the way it is, as
> this is the only mail list i joined in six years that is this way)

of course, for dissent, there is
http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml

When I implemented mailing lists for my workplace, the faculty were
very nervious about using it because other lists they are on have
reply-to pointing to the list, and they see sever dozen "yes", "no",
or "me-too" type emails for every one or two messages of substance.

They would not use my software unless I promised them that replies do
NOT go to the list automagically.  YMMV.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
   RCW 19.190 notice: This address is located in Washington State.

///