Re: RPM's

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RPM's
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:40:40 -0700
I think you just have to get used to the increased noise levels of a vintage
engine. You are shifting way too early for maximum performance. You are not
straining your engine at 4000rpm. In fact, you are just getting into the
power band at 3500rpm. It is true that the output starts trailing off around
5000rpm, so there is no point in holding it in gear unless you are going for
maximum acceleration. Once you are up to cruise, say 65mph, you can shift
into OD and watch the revs drop. But even before I put the OD in my B, I
could cruise at 80mph through the CA Central Valley in summer, with a very
tired engine.

But it sounds as if you got used to watching the "shift light" in the
Mirage, which of course is calibrated for fuel economy and emissions, not
performance. It would probably benefit from higher revs, as well. IMHO...

on 6/14/01 2:59 AM, Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA 60) at

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///