Re: MGA 1500: Plug wire/cap resistance?

To: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA 1500: Plug wire/cap resistance?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:19:33 -0500
At 12:58 AM 6/15/2001 -0400, Steve Morris wrote:
>>>I get no reading or continuity from the wire immediately behind the
snap-on plug boot through the boot itself ....

>>.... The original type MGA spark plug connectors have a screw thread in
the center to penetrate the end of the wire ....

>.... I have theoriginal type, not a traditional rubber boot. End to end,
the wires show a reading of .3

>The connectors themselves, when checked from the screw that goes into the
wire to the plug friction connector, do not show any continuity, ....

OOPS!  These should be zero resistance, metal to metal contact all the way
through.

>>.... Hold the coil wire near the center of the rotor and crank the
engine.  If the spark jumps from the coil wire to the rotor you have a
defective rotor ....

>That's it! I just tried this, and a big blue spark jumps from the HT coil
wire to the rotor .... but it didn't show up as a short under VOM
continuity check, because of the low voltage/current.

Yup.  A crack in the rotor is a gap, which appears top be open curcuit to
low voltage.

>.... I still don't understand why the spark plug connectors do not show
continuity. There must be resistors molded inside with more resistance than
my meter can read, and shows as an open.

Are you sure your ohm meter is working?  Try it on a resistor of known
value.  The plug wire ends should be a short circuit from one end to the
other.  Try a battery powered test light for the continuity test.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///