15" rims update

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 15" rims update
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:03:31 +0930
Just a quick one (well...)

I finally got my chance to try out my 15" rim & 205/60 tyre combination
under competition conditions and on a dry track.

Verdict...?

Well I shaved a second of my previous meeting time but less than a
second of my previous personal best on the 185/60 road tyres.  However I
think there is more there but I have found some interesting (should have
been expected) things to get used to.

Changing rim and tyre size means that I have altered my gear change
points (can someone calculate the equivalent in gearing/diff ratio
change?).  The previous slow hairpin that was too quick for second but
bogged down in third is now absolutely a second gear corner (redline out
of the corner... but definitely 2nd gear).  I am now stretching third
for the full length of a short straight when previously I would have
grabbed 4th just before the end of it.

Braking points, of course when the soft compound tyres heat up, are way
different.

Yes, in a rush-of-blood moment, my instructions to not try anything too
rash on the first lap while the tyres warmed up went out the window and
I spun on the first corner just a hundred yards from the start - very
embarrassing, but I only did it once :-)

Also I know have to put up with added axle tramp when the sticky tyres
grab and bounce out of fast corners and all sorts of noises as the tyres
hit the bodywork (up and sideways) at extreme places.

Yes, there is still some setting up to do (both of car and driver) but
as long as I keep getting 'personal best' times, I guess I should be
happy ;-) but the jury is still out.

Oh yeah, these tyres are violent but more easily recoverable when
hitting an oil spot under one front wheel under total braking from 80mph
- frightening but I caught it back!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia