Re: Adhesive Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adhesive Question
From: "Mike Winney" <mgb@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:19:28 -0700
Scott asked--

> What adhesive is preferred for securing the sound deadening panels to the
> hood on a B?

Since I haven't installed sound deadening panels to hoods(bonnets) I have no
disagreement with those who recommend spray adhesive, but in general I've
learned (the hard way) that if you really really want it to stay, use a high
quality liquid contact cement brushed on both surfaces and allowed to set
up.  I recently installed the headliner in my GT and noted that the Moss
instructions were very specific not to use spray adhesive.  I used quality
3M spray adhesive when installing quarter inch space blanket type insulation
in the roof of a XK-150 coupe.  Within a year the panel began to loosen.
Liquid contact cement is a pain to use compared to spray, but my experience
is that it is worth it.  I use cheap foam brushes to apply it.  FWIW
Mike Winney
68 MGB GT
ps  I took the GT out today for its first relatively long high speed run
since restoration and the steering wheel was rock solid, tracked straight
and true, pulled strong to redline, shifted beautifully-----man am I
nervous, this is just too good to last!!

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list