Re: Battery drain

To: "Parenti, Mark" <MParenti@Pirus.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery drain
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:14:17 +0100
With the battery ground cable off connect a test-lamp in its place.  If it
glows, with all load off i.e. doors closed and boot/trunk shut and
associated lights off, then you have a drain.  First thing to do then is
pull the plug on the alt.  If the drain goes it is the alt diodes.  If it is
still there pull the bottom fuse in the 2- or 4-way block.  If it goes look
for a short on the purple circuit i.e. courtesy lights and horns.  If it
still doesn't go then you will have to start pulling browns on things like
the ignition switch, main lightling switch, hazards and relays.

If the test-lamp doesn't glow at all try a voltmeter on, say, the 20v scale.
If this shows 12v then you do have a drain, albeit quite a small one,
proceed as before.  If you see a few volts but significantly less than 12v,
that is normal leakage for an alt and is not causing your battery problem.

PaulH.