Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)? LONG

To: "Barney Gaylord CMGC Webmaster" <barneymg@ntsource.com>,
Subject: Re: NO3 in a B + turbo(s)? LONG
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:03:53 -0400
> > 120,000RPM+.  Will that airpump be capable of that?
>
> I suppose I could wait for someone else to do some flaming or arguing
here,
> but I would just like to remind Kai that most "air pump from large
American
> V8" are not fan type blowers but are vane pumps with positive displacement
> and will output a moderate pressure at a fairly slow speed.  Maybe he has
> never looked inside of an air injection pump stripped off of a late model
> LBC in the process of desmogging.

Okay Barney, I did not know that.  I suppose it would be the Detroit auto
makers who would take the cheapest and easiest route to producing an air
pump.  However, that said a vane type pump would be even worse in a
supercharger application... do they still make Judsons, no.  Do those V8
Airpumps have external lubrication for the vanes?  The vane types are
typically high friction and need the lubrication of the vanes to stop the
wear of the vanes and to create a good seal.  That said, a Judson is still a
pretty big vane type supercharger... and I don't know if the displacement of
an airpump would be comparable.  Remember a Judson is pretty much only
effecitve for 5.5-6.5psi.

And no I never looked inside of an air injection pump either, it just comes
as a surprise to me that a straight vane design was used...

> The main problem(s) with a vane type compressor is heat and noise, both of
> which lead to compressor inefficiencies.

Right.  Heat from the friction of the vanes touching the body of the pump,
and heat from the compression process.  This is actually a current
conversation on the Judson list...

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list