RE: Warped front discs

To: "'Eric'" <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Warped front discs
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:18:02 -0700
Eric:

        Following are a few general points that may be helpful to the list.

> Sorry, but still pondering this subject, I was wondering if my use of
> the rather outsized 15x5.5" rims and 205x15x60 sticky tyres under
> competition stresses could have caused this.  My reason for
> wondering is
> purely because I would like to know if this may happen again
> with 'new'
> rotors under the same situation.  Or should I really be looking at
> 'competition grade' equipment here.

1.  Make sure that your caliper pistons are not binding.  A caliper with a
stuck piston will push a brake rotor 1" from true.

2. Good quality stock rotors work for some of the fastest SCCA drivers.

3.  Carefully check all clearances:  Under load at full lock, non-stock
wheels and front sway bars can rub.

4.  Check to make sure that the wheels are seating correctly on all four
hubs.  The hub castings on many MGBs particularily during the 70s were very
ecentric.  This can prevent an alloy wheel from seating properly.  The
factory corrected this problem in the late 70s by extra machining.

Kelvin Dodd.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list