Master Cylinder Springs

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Master Cylinder Springs
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:36:48 -0400
This is a little thought of item, so I'm here to remind everyone now.  The
next time you rebuild your brake or clutch master cylinders, replace the
piston spring as a precaution!  Otherwise the following will result...

http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg/tr6/cylinder-piston-spring.jpg

This happened during a prompt stop after being cut off in right lane, and
that same driver then deciding to make a right hand turn into a parking lot.
I stepped on both the clutch and brake pedal instantly, and fortunately
stopped the car.  However, upon trying to get moving again I was unable to,
but I was able to jam the gearbox into third and get back home.  Initial
thoughts were that the TR6 clutch fork pin had broken, nope... pulling the
gearbox revealed that was okay.  No hydraulic leaks, still getting 5/16" of
an inch movement at the pushrods... hmm, so I didn't think it was a clutch
master or slave cylinder issue.  Okay it finally had to be the clutch master
cylinder, the only indication was the pedal being a little mushy.  Upon
disassembly, the piston spring was found in four pieces all bound up in the
rear of the cylinder; the piston itself was blown out with compressed air.
I had rebuilt the master cylinder in the summer of 1999, but hadn't replaced
the spring.  Two dollars spent in 1999, would have saved me six hours of
work in 2001.  So replace your piston springs during your next cylinder
rebuild (if they are available for your car)!

Finally fixed :-)

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list