Re: Green brake fluid

To: simon_atwork@hotmail.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Green brake fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:21:53 EDT
In a message dated 7/23/01 5:05:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
simon_atwork@hotmail.com writes:

> I just changed the brake fluid in my MGA. It was about 3 years old. The old
> fluid came out green -- after a little of the new fluid had come through
> the
> bleeder and mixed with old, it was almost the same colour as my car
> (non-original BRG).
>
> Before anyone tells me that 3 years is too long to leave the fluid there:
> 1. I know already!
> 2. In a dry climate, such as we ahve in California it probalby is not too

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

3 years is really not that bad for brake fluid.  Most "average" drivers in
this country have no idea their cars have a fluid that is used to brake, so
they never change it.  Unless you are racing the car, 3 years is OK, just not
optimal.

I have no idea what would cause it to turn green, unless some brass fittings
are corroded.  There are brake fluids that come in different colors, to allow
you to flush it more easily.  They make red and blue in the same formulation.
 You just flush with the opposite color that is in the system until the new
color fluid starts to come out.

When I flushed the fluid out of my Mitsubishi the first time, it had
obviously never been changed by the DPO.  It came out blood red.  The
difference with the new fluid was striking.  All the brake fading I had
experienced in the mountians of PA was gone.

If there are no other problems with the brakes, I wouldn't worry about the
color that came out, but I would be interested in hearing other
opinions/experiences from the list.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget