Fire Hazard 'B

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fire Hazard 'B
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 19:54:33 +0930
You know those times that you are just too busy (or too tired) to see to
a little problem that can 'wait until later'?

Well yesterday I had one of those.

After a long night out I drove the 'B into the driveway and left it
idling while I unlocked the gates and opened the garage door (no
push-button stuff here).  I drove the car into the garage and walked
back through the gates  noticing a damp spot where the car had sat
idling. A quick inspection and a sniff of the fingers proved it to be fuel.

Oh well, a little flooding of the carbies - I'll see to it tomorrow.

Got up late (again), dived into the car - "I'll check those carbies
before I head home... it didn't seem too serious".

Just about to drive home when I decide on a cursory glance at the
carbies to see if they flood while the car is idling, warming up before
the short drive home - then I'll check again at home

This revealed something rather shocking.  No, not flooding carbies, but
fuel spurting across the block from a pinhole in a fuel line!!

I wonder how long this has been going on and how on earth I didn't set
the damn car on fire!?  For a smoker who lit up in/near the car a few
times over the past couple of days - this was even MORE disturbing.

New bit of fuel line and all is well.

Aarrgghh - don't put off today what could become a dramatic situation
tomorrow.  Smell fuel?  SEE TO IT!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia