Re: smoking start, V1 #607

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: smoking start, V1 #607
From: "Robert C Gibbons" <bob-gibbons@raytheon.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:20:33 -0500
Based on my experience, I would suspect a head gasket leak allowing a
small amount of water/antifreeze mixture into one of the cylinder heads.
This mixture typically burns with a very dense white smoke, until the
cylinder is clear, then it disappears. The smoking phenomena typically
will not reoccur until the engine has had a change to sit, cool down, and
the gasket leak again allows water leakage into the head. If the leak
increases in volume, the next step in the progression is hydraulic lock,
that is, inability of the starter to turn over the engine.

Bob
64 MGB
59 TR3