20/20 paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 20/20 paint
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:11:12 -0700
My MG has needed a paintjob as long as I've owned it. Experience
taught me that a paint job costs a couple thousand dollars. Compound
that with the effect of "If I'm going to spend all that money, then
before I do that I should ....".

A few weeks ago, while walking past the Earl Sheib a half a block from
where I work, on a whim I asked them what a paintjob costs. The
answer: about $200. Of course they have all sorts of ways of running
the price up to $600; Do you want those dings fixed? Do you want clear
coat? Do you want one of these 4 colors or one of those 12 expensive,
or one of those 12 premium colors?

However for $220 (with tax) they had one of their trained
chimpigrants sand, mask and squirt two coats of white paint on
Jasmine. They are also shooting my chin spoiler and promised me a
couple extra quarts of paint to fix any booboos that might happen on
the racetrack.

The nice this about this is that for only a couple of RCU (*) it's a
lot easier for me to think of it as "glossy primer". It's also a lot
easier for me to say "it's only a race car" and not totally obsess
over getting every last detail perfect.

So now, from 20 feet away, my MG actually looks pretty good. Get much
closer and the finish looks more like it was grown in a citrus grove,
but what the hell. It's only a racecar.

I am, however, considering adding blue racing stripes.  There was a
great explanation of the history of, as well as a listing of, all of
the country codes for painting your cars body and frame(racing
stripe). As I remember it even explained that BRG is not any one shade
of green, but any green.

* Race Car Units - $100

--
     I can't go back and change time, but I can make up for lost time.

///