Re: Gear box service and oil

To: mgsoftt@yahoo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear box service and oil
From: "Tuck Southworth" <tsouthworth70@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:02:34 -0400
Phil,
What you do or don't do depends on how well the gearbox was functioning
prior to removal. If it was shifting smoothly I'd leave it alone.  But if
you were catching a gear I'd replace one or both synchros. Of course when
you get that deep into the gearbox you may also find some chipped gears.
I'd replace the front transmission oil seal as it's often a source of leaks.
  There are a couple of filters in the OD that you should replace and I'd
change the transmission mounts as the rubber can get real slimy.  I'd
certainly use the opportunity to throw in a new clutch.  Use regular 20/50
motor oil, but I've been told by many not use synthetic in the gearbox.

Tuck Southworth
70 b "hers"
55 TF "all mine"