Re: Misc Engine Rebuild Questions

To: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Subject: Re: Misc Engine Rebuild Questions
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:50:47 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS wrote:

> Greetings all-- now that I've pulled the engine/tranny from my '72 B, I've
> got a few questions:
>
> 1) I discovered a roller throwout bearing was installed years ago by the DPO
> during a clutch replacement-- can it be refurbed and reused? Otherwise I've
> got a standard one ready to go on my new o-drive tranny.

I pulled an O/D tranny from a car last year that had a bearing throw out in it.
 I debated for a few days about putting it in my car -vs- the carbon.  I
decided right before I slapped it in to go with the roller bearing.  It has
been fine, but only a few thousand miles on it at this point...

> 4) Tranny steady rods-- mine's missing-- what's the advantage of them--
> should I source one for the reinstall?

Might depend on the year of your car.  Some didn't have them.  I have a '70 and
it had motor mount parts to do the same job.  I have heard that without the
rod, in an accident your fan can go though your radiator.  Mine did not, but I
do have the motor mount version.

> 5) Heads again-- any of you happily using the non-crossflow aluminum head?
> How about 3-angle valve jobs on a mildly cleaned-up stock head-- notice any
> flow improvements?

Have the AL non-crossflow head.  Works fine.  Should never crack by #2 or #3.
Does increase the volume slightly.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net