Re: New paint job

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New paint job
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:10:51 -0700
If you're going to the trouble of stripping it you will definitely have to
remove the windshield, and a lot more than that. But that is more in line
with a complete restoration.

Think -- do you want to re-attach all your functional but worn/grimy running
gear/trim/interior to a perfect, freshly painted shell? Not only would that
offend your sensibilities, it would devalue the large investment you just
made. But to renew all those parts would exceed the value of the car by
several times.

It sounds more like you just want a nice-looking driver. I would suggest you
just need a quality respray, with body work confined to those areas you
mentioned. The only reason to go down to bare metal for a respray is if the
new paint is incompatible with the old paint, or if the old paint is broken
out in surface rust all over. Of course, if you want to change the color
(which you didn't mention), you would still have to remove all the trim and
running gear, but you wouldn't have to go to bare metal.

It seems to be common for people to "overkill" a simple paint job by
attempting to completely strip the car. After several dozen hours they run
out of steam, and the partially stripped hulk winds up collecting rust and
leaves all winter, or worse, being completely abandoned or sold for parts
years later.

IMHO, YMMV...

--

Max Heim