Shaving off AL spacers on the inside of the windshield

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shaving off AL spacers on the inside of the windshield
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:17:31 -0600 (MDT)
My windshield frame fits on my car WAY too tight.  I had it
professionally installed and it took them eight hours.

I bought Lindsey's restoration book for some light reading while on
vacation  (Yeah, I'm pathetic, but we were already in the bookstore and
it was all wrapped up pretty in shrink wrap...) and saw where they used
a power file to cut out the extra steel when the frame didn't fit
because the body was too narrow.  (RSR21 and RSR22 on page 96 of the
second edition.)

Is there any reason why I couldn't shave off some of the width on the
AL spacers (RSR28 on page 97) and have my shield frame fit nicely?  A
mechanic friend has access to a tool that will do the job nicely.

TIA!

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net