Re: Top replacement, what is your prefered brand and why?

To: lundgren@byu.net
Subject: Re: Top replacement, what is your prefered brand and why?
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:35:16 EDT
Andrew,
First of all, that's a very subjective question. A little objectivity is the
key here. If you are restoring the car then an OEM, or Original Equipment
Manufacturer hood (top) is what you'd need. I see where they also list a
vinyl replacement top w/o header rail or rear anchor bar for $130 less than
the OEM. If you already have a top (Hood) but its no longer usable. I'd say
swap the necessary parts and use the savings elsewhere. Now as for the
Cabriolet top listed, well its not up to me, it sounds really nice, but is it
something that you really need? Its pretty expensive plus Professional
installation is suggested.  Also there's such a thing as "Over Restored" that
will actually work against you at shows where the Judging is strict. An
Original, same as when new, will invariably win over an Overly Restored car.
If, on the other hand you want the ultimate in quiet ride and low wind noise
and money is not an issue hey, by all means, go for the Cabriolet Top. Then I
guess your car could be considered a Drop Head Coupe or DHC, except that MG
never made an MGB-DHC or Cabriolet that I know of. Maybe a more learned
reader knows something I don't. Were there any Cabrio's or DHC in MGB's
original lineup? Same for Sunfast, a lot of people like it, personally I
don't. They remind me of sails. But, why not call Moss yourself and ask for a
swatch or sample of each of the materials they offer, the Vinyl, The
Original, the Cabriolet, the Sunfast and the English Dull-coat Vinyl tops.
Have Fun!-=SafetyFast=-
Albert Escalante 1978 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list