Re: Positive Ground

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: Re: Positive Ground
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:31:13 -0400
Ken,

      Do you have a meter of some type that is polarity sensitive?  If the car
was originally positive ground, this probably means that it has a generator
rather than an alternator.  Guessing that it hasn't been idle for so long as to
depolarize itself, there's a simple technique.  Take the belt off of the
generator pulley, hook up your voltmeter between ground and the output terminal
of the generator and give it a spin (clockwise as viewed from the pulley end).
If your meter's negative lead is connected to ground and the positive lead is
connected to the generator, your meter needle will deflect upward for a positive
output voltage (negative ground), or will deflect downward for a negative
voltage
voltage (positive ground).

Hope this helps.

--