Re: MG starter gears are getting chewed up!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG starter gears are getting chewed up!
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:33:03 -0700
If the flywheel teeth are sufficiently damaged, they will destroy the
starter pinion gear almost immediately, as you have noticed (BTDT). Remove
the starter, and have someone slowly turn the motor over by hand while you
observe the flywheel teeth through the starter access hole. That should
provide visual confirmation that the flywheel is damaged. The only solution
for this is to remove the engine from the vehicle to replace the flywheel. A
new ring gear can be fitted to your existing flywheel by a machine shop.

on 8/31/01 7:53 AM, UDHI SENATHIRAJAH at USENATHIRAJAH@Preston.ac.uk wrote:

> Hello all,
> My sister has a MG Midget Mk3 (1979) 1500. The machine was handed to me
> cause "it doesnt work anymore" (girly tech-talk - go figure). The starter
> motor wasnt turning the engine over (the starter motor doesnt even work) so
> I removed it and found the gears (the ones that mesh with the flywheel)
> absolutley chewed to bits, along the first 75% the shaft.
>
> The replacement turned the machine over once, the negine started, and the
> car was run around for 5 or six hrs and refused to start the next day -
> removed starter -tadaa! mashed gear teeth again. Just what the hell is going
> on??!
>
> I can assume two possible things have happened her:
>
> The engine is partially seized so its burning out the starter when it fires
> up the old wheezer and strips the gears in the process
> or
> The flywheel -starter engagement ring is partially broken so its damaging
> the starter motor.
>
> Can you guys n girls provide some troubleshooting procedures for me pls? I
> asked my fiends and the only reply I got was a petrol can and a lighter left
> at the doorstep by one of the jokers!

That's what you get for asking "fiends"!

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///