Re: Spark Plugs for 52 TD

To: British Sportscar Center <Lawrie@britcars.com>,
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs for 52 TD
From: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:56:55 -0700
Lawrie,
No as a matter of fact, I had just put a new set of plugs in (Champions).  These
plugs, Halo,  are not a cure all but rather they take a well running ignition
system a step further because of the efficient burn of fuel.  Instead of a
single post there is a tripod with a center opening.  You'll just have to try it
for yourself.  I'm not an Engineer, but I know the difference they made in fuel
economy, idle and performance in my 78B.
Jim
78B
70B
p.s. they only had them set up for B's at the show so not sure if they have
expanded to other models.  But, they are being used all over Europe on new cars
to save fuel.  For those looking for a hot plug, it works!
British Sportscar Center wrote:

> James,
>
> When you fitted the Halo plugs, did you replace a relatively new set of the
> correct grade of another known brand of plug, or were you replacing a tired,
> old set? My 25 years of experience working on MGs for a living have shown
> that any new plug will out-perform an old one.
>
> My 4-gas analyzer demonstrated once that a set of new NGK plugs
> out-performed a set of Split-Fire plugs, in terms of completeness of burn of
> the fuel mixture. At the recommendation of another lister, I tried a set of
> the fancy Bosch plugs that have four electrodes. In my engine, they
> performed no differently than the 2-year old NGK BP6ES I removed. No
> increase in fuel economy, no change in performance.
>
> So, the expensive plugs that are touted as a cure-all, magic solution to
> ignition woes are usually just another way to lighten your wallet.
>
> Lawrie
> British Sportscar Center

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list