Re: MGB alternator (Sorry!)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB alternator (Sorry!)
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:09:48 -0500
I had the same experience with a replacement alternator on my 'B. The small
brown wire on the original alternator was probably a voltage sense line for
the regulator. The heavy brown wire, as big as it is, still has some voltage
drop when the alternator is providing charging current. The regulator
(inside the alternator) will adjust the output of the alternator to make the
sense line 14 volts. The point at which the sense line connects to the big
brown wire is the point where the voltage is going to be exactly 14 volts.
Ideally the small brown wire would go all the way back to the battery. Lucas
probably tied the small brown to the big brown wire inside the alternator as
a cost saving measure.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@home.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470