Re: Yellow Paint!

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yellow Paint!
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:37:47 -0500
At 09:20 AM 9/20/01 -0700, Dan DiBiase wrote:
>.... 18GB engine .... fan and pulley .... original yellow paint ....
>wondering what others have used to respray these - just any sort of glossy
>yellow?

It's "School Bus Yellow", available in spray cans at many auto parts or
hardware stores.  It is commonly available in the Rustoleum brand, but that
stuff takes forever to dry, and it probably won't cover completely in one
coat without sags and runs.  However, I have had very good results by
baking it, after which it holds up quite well to the onslought of high
speed dirt and bugs impinging on the leading edges of the blades.  In any
case, use enamel, not lacquer.

Clean the part as well as possible.  Patience and effort will pay off
here.  Spray the first coat VERY THIN to avoid runs, and allow to air dry
at least several minutes.  Then spray on a second coat just a little
heavier, but still don't expect it to cover completely yet.  Don't rush
it.  Avoid runs.  Allow to dry for several minutes.  Bake at 250dF for 30
minutes minimum.  Allow to cool to room temperature.  Spray on another coat
of paint, dry for several minutes, bake as noted, and repeat for a few more
coats.  For me a good baked on enamel paint seems to hold up about as well
as powder coating.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg