Brakes & Foot/leg operating pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes & Foot/leg operating pressure
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:26:15 -0300
Listers,

  Just got the 80 "B" out of state inspection. It passed.  When
it was in, I asked them to check a problem with the rear
brakes.  They found a blocked line and replaced it
along with bleeding the line etc.

   My question is how much foot/leg pressure is typically required to operate
the brakes when they are adjusted correctly ?  As it stands now,
I need leg pressure vs. foot-type pressure to operate the brakes.
I must be cognicent when driving to leave stopping room.
I am sure that I could lock them up, but it would require real pedal
pressure.  I also believe that the pedal is lower to the floor
than when it when it went in to the shop.

   Note I am comparing the B's brakes to those of more modern cars such
as a Mazda 626, etc. I have not driven another MG in quite a while so
I have no recollection of brake pressure.  One other note, the brakes
do not feel spongy so I do not believe that there is air in the
system.

I understand that this is subjective, but any help/opinions would be
appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

         Gene Balinski

            1980 "B"