Re: MGA coolant loss after driving....

To: Nory <Nory3@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: MGA coolant loss after driving....
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:02:00 -0400
Nory wrote:

> >I think the coolant actually reaches it's
> >highest temperature shortly after the
> >engine is turned off (at least that's what
> >my gauge says).
>
> Yes, that's true.  It's because the fan is no longer turning and cooling
> the radiator.

Most of the heat generated by an engine occurs in the area surrounding the
combustion chambers and exhaust valves: The head. The heat generated in the head
is quite intense, but irregular. The cooling of the head is dependent upon
coolant circulation by the water pump. Coolant flow through the head distributes
that heat more evenly, and carries much of it to the radiator. So, when the
engine is stopped, the coolant flow stops immediately, leaving some hot spots in
the head that remain hot causing coolant expansion for several minutes after
shut
down. Thus, if the radiator was full, a few ounces dribble to the floor. An
overflow bottle catches it, thus depriving pets of a drink of the poisonous
sweet
tasting stuff. You only need to insert the radiator overflow tube into an empty,
clean one quart engine oil bottle to catch the overflow. If the tube end is kept
below the coolant level in the jar, the radiator will remain full as the liquid
in the system cools and contracts.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1999 BMW R1100RT Very Black... of course
BMW MOA #89329, BMW RA #25289, IBMWR
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Avant Very Silver
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red
1974 MGB-GT Damask (Very Burgundy) Red
1972 Suzuki TS185 Dual Sport, Very sort of orange. For Sale

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///