Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System

To: "Harlan Jillson" <harlanjillson@covad.net>, "Bob D."
Subject: Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:32:11 +0100
When a battery is so low that the solenoid just clicks it can still around
near 12v with just the ignition on, i.e. more than enough to run the engine.
Obviously a battery *can* be so flat that not even the ignition will work,
but there is a large range of partial charge between 'no crank' and 'no
spark'.  It is the plug gap that limits the measured HT voltage - there are
potentially (ho!) many more thousands of volts available with a standard
coil, which should jump at least 1/2" without difficulty, even given that it
is harder for a spark to jump a given gap under compression than in free
air.

PaulH.