Charging System Woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Charging System Woes
From: scottinarl@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 08:30:47 +0800
Hi,

So the battery on my 74 1/2 BGT dies, (as in lights go out, car dies and car
coasts to a halt).  Since the alternator light was flickering a bit, I figure
that there was a problem with the alternator/voltage regulator.  I get a new
alternator, and the battery/car dies again, but this time the warning lamp
doesn't flicker.  I take the alternator back for replacement, and the
battery/car dies again.

Obviously I'm missing something here.  In my other high maintenance vehicles
you've got the battery, the voltage regulator and the alternator.  Is there
anything else on the charging circuit of a B that can go bad and cause this?

-I checked the connection(s) on the battery and on the alternator and they're
all good.

-I checked the battery and it's not cracked or grounding out in it's box.

-All fuses are intact.

-Alternator warning lamp does not come on.

-All electricals work o.k., but after the battery/car dies there's not enough
juice to kick over the starter or keep the car running.

-My circuit tester is dead too, so I can't tell anyone how many amps or volts
it's pushing through the system.

-Carrying around a spare battery is not an option.

Any help appreciated.

Scott Allen

Dead 74 1/2 BGT
52 TD